Saturday 15 December 2018

Circular No 893







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 15 December 2018 No. 893
-------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
George Mickiewicz’s Xmas message.
-------------------------------------------------------.
From: Don Mitchell
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 10:30 AM
Subject: Don and Maggie's Christmas Letter 2018
Hi, Jan,
That is so kind of you, and so funny too! 
I enjoyed reading your news.  Hope you don’t mind my sending it to Ladislao for possible inclusion in the Circular? 
It would let any of your generation know what you have been up to. 
And, you know Ladislao is always looking for fresh material.
Best,
Don
------------------------------------
From: Gmail Jan
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 10:19 AM
Dear Don and Maggie,
Thank you very much for your Christmas Photo-essay. I took some time reading it all. Very nice how you write how you get along with your Samsung smartphone. Pity you let it fall too often, because the consumer organization in the Netherlands says the glass of the Samsung breaks easy. There is an easy solution to it that it never falls again out of your pocket, you should put it in a cover you can buy on internet. Let Amazon fly by with a drone and drop it on your porch! I bought myself a LG G6, LG stands for life's good and I can assure you, my life is good now. The thing works great!
The Constitutional Reform – A bump on a Road is a little too heavy material for me. I haven’t studied law but just how to build some architecture by piling bricks upon each other. I see politics is doing its work too, by not agreeing and not saying why. The water in your pool looks good, over here it would turn green soon because of algae, so that's why we don't have a pool because nobody wants to go into the green water. But you got your benches back to the pool side.
I had to look up what a Belgian Malinois is, I needed to because if I jump on my bike and I rotate the pedals for about an hour I am in Belgium. I see it is what we call a "Mechelse herder". A "herder" is a man who herds the sheep, or like a priest herding his parish, and his dog is called a "herdershond" = herdsdog. And it is from the city Mechelen in Belgium. This stripalbum Bessy is also a herdsdog to us. But you have a nice dog then.
In Surinam we had a few dogs. They were always outside the house. Or they would stay on the porche. But in the Netherlands there is a problem, people keep the dogs inside the house in the living room and you have to let him out a few times a day. They are not allowed to go freely on the road. So that's why we prefer cats, they get along on their own. We took our cats all the way to France, but the burden became a nuisance so we gave them away for free to other people. But now you have two dogs, a Rottweiler too.
You ended the teaching and somebody else took over and there are six new schoolbooks for law. Great work, also with the textbooks of Jasmin! You did some pickaxing too in your backyard putting white gravel on it, that comes a bit closer to what I am doing too. But I add cement and chalk CaOH and I get yellow coloured concrete while the cement powder is gray. That’s because I mix it with yellow loam from the river. If I would mix it with ordinary sand like Maracas Bay beach sand, it would turn to gray concrete. Gramoxone is forbidden in the Netherlands, we are not allowed to use it. Instead they use Round Up, but there is a lot of opposition to it.
Just taking a peep on internet, but you finished the 12th edition of West Indian Bibliography from 1492 onwards. That is a lot of work, 30 years?, truly a magnum opus! Congratulations!
Wanting to thank you too for all the notifications of the Circulars of the Abbey School. I always look them up when I receive a mail from you. It mostly centers around the generation before me, some names ring a bell but I hardly knew any of them, like Form 1 watching the guys of Form 5 pass by. Only about four guys of my year were in them. In the past I tried to email them but there were no replies. It happens.
All is well over here. At home I used to have four elder brothers and four elder sisters. Two brothers died at birth, the others later on, so I am the only brother left with four older sisters. But I have four sons and already three grandsons and two granddaughters. Having the fun of my life with them. The oldest will turn 8 after X-mas.
Wishing you and Maggie Merry Christmas and the best of times in the New Year and enjoy your pension. Keep busy and on the move, than you can reach an old age! I outlived my mum already, four years to go to outlive me dad. I would like to reach it.
Much greetings and best wishes!
Jan Koenraadt and Berthy
-----------------------------------------------------
GEORGE MICKIEWICZ <amickiew@att.net>
Dec 16 at 8:31 AM
Hey Ladislao
Not in story form….but…from a recent interaction on this topic in our FB page for your consideration to be included in a future Circular.
Un abrazo,
George
What was your favorite movie that was shown on the AB MSB screen? Do you remember any at all?
What was your favorite movie
Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
That was a scary one as I recall
Yes, some young boys got so scared as to $hit their pants.
They had to stop the movie and let them out.
Not a good choice for the whole student body.
What was your favorite movie
no idea....
The Defiant Ones in the late 50s, perhaps?
what was your favorite movie Carlos Dvorak
Can't recall, and if I did, I would not tell
???? I can't remember! 
In Playa Del Carmen right now George.
Movies was never my thing and still is.
What did you on Saturday nights while everyone was watching movie?
Romeo and Juliet.
I'm still in love with Olivia Hussey
My 3 most memorable ones are The 10 Commandments, The Bridge on the River Kwai and Ben Hur. The night of the day that our Christmas vacation began and all the Trini boys had been picked up by their parents, they took all remaining non-Trini boarders to that cinema ?? by Savanah Park to see these them . The next day we flew happily back home to our respective countries and homes.
Also, forgot to mention Lawrence of Arabia
What was the name of the aforementioned cinema by Savanah Park?
We sat in the balcony
Deluxe
Hush, Hush sweet charlotte.
Cannons of Navarone.
Jesus Christ Super star.
l liked those three too
Guns of Navarone Sal Salvador
I remember Los Cañones de Navarrone.
Seen that movie galore!!
A night to remember..(Titanic), Julius Ceasar
Which version?
If you're referring to the sinking ship,..the 1953 version with Clifton Web,..
Julius Ceasar would be about the same vintage,.with James Mason
To tell the truth, Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte is the only movie I remember seeing at the Mount.
My memory cannot recollect anymore.
Does anyone remember this one?
Seen it at Mount and in many other places. How many times?? Don’t know
A classic with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas
It's actually part of my DVD collection..:)..I own it..:)..
I was never big on movies, but I remember one night they showed a horror movie and the bigger guys were screaming and prep and form one boys got thrown out.
That could have been Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte.
Can't remember the name but it was a guy that chopped up his wife a big swing blade
Slingblade must be a follow up after.
The thing is I loved the song. It was only after watching the movie,
I realize where the song came from, and what it meant.
From then on, I never listened to the song anymore.
Sound of music ha ha
Oscar winner
Funny it's showing on CTV right now,,:)..I also remember "The body snatchers"...set in the late nineteenth century WWII movie,..the Cockleshell heroes,...damn,..all of these things I hadn't thought about for years,.now coming back..:)..
Welcome to the AB MSB legacy and memory club Garnet Diaz
How come we never got popcorn at the movies?
-------------------------------------------------------
WhatsApp:
26-08-2017 Zanelli Enrique: Está mañana cuando vi las noticias y lo primero que oí fue "tornado, Katy y trailers" me cague, pensé que era mi taller...
26-08-2017 Ibarra Frank: Jajajajaja...cuídense mucho!!!
26-08-2017 Zanelli Enrique: 👍 por lo menos 3 días más de está vaina Que pajuos
26-08-2017 Coscarart Salvador: jajajajj
27-08-2017 Ahow Hector Tx: Por aquí lluvia toda la noche. Buen drenaje no hay viento. Como que va llover todo el día cielo cerrado.
27-08-2017 Zavarce Arturo: Hurricane Harvey strengthens, threatens US with most powerful storm in 12 years El Huracán pasó y quedo estacionaria la lluvia desde el viernes, muchas alarmas por tornados 50 condados declarados desastare
27-08-2017 Kenny Azizul: Hey Joe this for u
28-08-2017 Farias Gabriel: I prayed with our dear Cutty this afternoon and a half hour later he passed peacefully
into the Lord's arms   May he Rest In Peace, he was like a father to so many of us. Please let know when the funeral is.  See message from father Harold
28-08-2017 Ahow Hector Tx: 😔😔😔 Thanks 🙏🙏🙏🙏 may the Lord takes him to heaven
28-08-2017 Ibarra Frank: Rest In Peace Cutty 🙏🏻
28-08-2017 Zavarce Arturo: RIP CUTTY??
28-08-2017 Cantore Oscar: may God embrace you RIP
28-08-2017 Ramsahai toddy: Rip dear cutty
28-08-2017 Rampersandsingh Anand: 🌹🙏RIP
28-08-2017 Ramsahai Winston 99: RIP Fr Cuthberth he will always be remembered for supporting me spiritually  We thank you  Gabe,  Joe,   Toddy, Mike, Jimmy and others  for the support you gave
28-08-2017 Alfredo Montiel Bezara: Fr Cuthberth rest in peace and always will be in our Prayers as well as Fr. Odo and Fr. Bernard !!! 🇹🇹🇻🇪🙏
28-08-2017 Coscarart Salvador: Amen .
28-08-2017 Coscarart Pedro: RIP Fr Cuthbert , you will always be remember in our prayers
28-08-2017 Ahow Hector Tx: AMÉN 🙏
28-08-2017 Kenny Azizul: Thank You Cutty for everything you will always be remembered
28-08-2017 Joseph Habib: Gentlemen, is with a heavy heart that I have to share this news. Fr. Cuthbert died this evening, 28th of August. The Abbot is waiting on Cutty's family from Holland, to make arrangements. I will keep you guys informed as I get the news. God bless.
28-08-2017 Ahow Hector Tx: Joe thanks
28-08-2017 Zanelli Enrique: RIP Cutty....
28-08-2017 Moffie Edgar: Fr Cuthbert may you rest in peace...you will always be remmember...
28-08-2017 Cantore Oscar: Miss him when I travel to TT every trip made Saw him  Last time I Saw him was when Victor Zanelli went with The Esmeralda
28-08-2017 Zanelli Enrique: Same here.... but
28-08-2017 Alexander Garth: May his soul rest in peace...
29-08-2017 Joseph Habib: Not sure as yet, but the possibility that funeral will that place this coming Saturday at 9am at the Mount. Confirmation will be tomorrow. His family will be arriving this week. So, please keep Saturday open. Thanks.
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list it is 52 usd per year, help out on the consumables required for the making of the Circular and the left over for the editor´s discretion..
------------------------------------------
Photos:
07EV7472GRP, Fr, Cuthbert and Peter Sammy
77LK4257FBPDB, Paul de la Bastide
18UN0001REUNION2018, UNKNOWNS
16GM8275GMC, Glen Mckoy







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.